(Affiliated to C.B.S.E., Delhi) Affiliation No. - 330001
Historical Journey of Our Esteemed Institution
Nazareth Academy has a unique history. Though it has been a school for more than seventy five years it was not always known as Nazareth Academy. The doors of the school opened in a house on Katari Hill Road on 2ndFebruary 1939 with the name of Saint Michael's School, under the capable leadership of Mother Engelbert, IBMV. This first Convent School in Gaya was in Hindi medium.
In 1942 the school was moved to the present site and in 1943 the school was handed over to the Loreto Sisters from Calcutta. The School was renamed as Loreto Convent and it followed the Cambridge curriculum. Due to shortage of personnel the Loreto Sisters decided to discontinue the school by the end of 1950. Once again the history intervened. A band of 4 brave Sisters belonging to Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, Kentucky, USA arrived on the 28th of December 1950.
Thus Nazareth Academy was born in January 1951 with the new Academic Session and with Sister Charles Miriam, SCN as the Principal and Sisters Ann Roberta, Ann Bernadette and Ellen Maria assisting her with the teaching and administration. The total enrolment in the school at this time was 160 students. As the year went by enrolment increased and infrastructure facilities too were expanded.
The course studies too were changed. The Cambridge curriculum was changed and the students appeared for class X examination through Bihar Board. For a few years boys were allowed only up to class VII, but by 1975 the school became fully co-educational. In 1983 the school was affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education, Delhi and in 1985 the first batch of class X students received their passing certificates through this Board. In 1991 the school was upgraded to +2 level under the CBSE, Delhi.
The first two Principals, Sister Charles Miriam and Sister James Leo, along with Sister Eugenia Meuthing and a band of dedicated staff built up a strong legacy of excellence and reputation for Nazareth Academy, The Years have rolled by, all round expansion and changes are continuing. Under the dedicated guidance of the subsequent Principals Sisters Anne Marie, Ann George, Ann Palatty, Reena, Vijaya and the present Principal Sophia Joseph, the school has grown and developed enlarging its influence and its scope from year to year.
Nazareth Academy, through its students, past and present, is known all over India and in many foreign lands. Its representatives are in all branches of the armed forces, they are found in all professions: doctors, lawyers, teachers, government officials, business men, scientists, engineers and many other professions and occupations. By their good character and reputation, their skill and ability, they carry the banner of excellence and exemplify the high merits of their Alma Mater that fostered their growth and prosperity.